There are many points of failure when diagnosing Internet & Network related problems , the following is a description of the most common.
- ADSL Filters
- Malfunctioning phone equipment
- Poor Quality Aluminium Phone cable extensions
- Alarm Systems and Central Splitters
They simply stop any signals outside the 0-4000Hz , called a low pass filter, telephone band from passing through either way.
All handsets should be filtered
- Failure of DSL Sync Occurs when your adsl modem cannot connect to the exchange and is often caused by Line Attenuation or Signal Noise.
- Line Attenuation is the energy loss of signal transmission through the line.
- Noise Noise can be generated by other devices on the line (alarms, phones, faxes, etc) or by electromagnetic pulses.
- Make sure the unshielded receiving wire (i.e. wall to modem phone cable) is as small as possible
- Use the first point in the house (generally the one closest to the front of the house)
- Make sure there's no devices on the line causing noise (unplug everything else)
- Keep the modem and line away (1m+) from anything else that uses power >
- Home alarms generate a lot of line noise; disconnect it or get a central splitter
tips for reducing line noise :